What does lightning protection for barns have to do with timber framing? After the largest horse barn in the U.S. (pictured in the video – right) was completed, we learned that the barn and horses are protected from lightning by products from East Coast Lightning Equipment. They subsequently pointed out that several of the photographs on our website are of barns or homes with lightning protection.
They understand the value of what “Made in USA” means. They also helped us understand why lightning protection for barns (and homes) is important to our clients. Lightning protection for barns and homes not only protects the inhabitants of the barn or home, it also protects the owners’ financial investment in the structure. Finally, it might save the 2+ years that it could take to rebuild the building. We thought we’d pass along 5 things we did not know about lightning protection for homes and barns:
- Climate change is expected to increase the number of lightning strikes each year; every part of the country is at risk for lightning.
- The devices that operate your home and keep you safe — including security systems, heating and cooling equipment, and household appliances — can be knocked-out by lightning surges, even if the lightning does not directly strike your house.
- Ordinary grounding and surge protection products do not protect against lightning; only systems complying with UL and Lightning Protection Institute standards provide reliable protection.
- Lightning protection systems are custom designed and installed by specialty contractors to complement each home’s style and appearance.
- Lightning protection is affordable, may reduce insurance premiums, and can enhance the value of your home; it also provides peace of mind.