West Jefferson: The Coolest Corner
Is West Jefferson, NC (Ashe County) one of the best places to live, raise a family, and work in Western North Carolina?
Carolina Timberworks thinks so.
West Jefferson, Ashe County by the Numbers
|Elevation (5 peaks over 5,000′)||3,178′|
|Population (people, not cows)||27,203|
|People per square mile (Manhattan is 69,467)||64|
|Acres (Bill & Melina Gates own only 242,000)||272,778|
|Acres per person||10|
|Number of farms (no farmers, no farmers’ market)||1,125|
|Christmas tree production (by county, in the U.S.)||No. 1|
|Median home value (San Francisco is $1.38 million)||$153,200|
|Sales tax rate||7%|
|Property tax rate (per $100 USD)||$0.443|
|Median rent (half pay more, half pay less)||$634|
|Median household income (half earn more, half earn less)||$40,962|
|Households with broadband internet||70.4%|
|Average travel time to work||25 min.|
|Closest public airport (GEV)||11 min.|
|Closest major airport (CLT)||2 hr. 7 min.|
|Distance to Blue Ridge Parkway||17 min.|
Where is Ashe County?
West Jefferson is now approximately 30 minutes from Boone, NC, 2 hours from Charlotte, NC, and 2-1/2 hrs. from Asheville, NC.
Some of our Favorite Things to do in and around West Jefferson and Ashe County
- Take a good book to bed with you: Ashe County Public Library
- People-watch downtown West Jefferson
- Visit America’s longest park, the Blue Ridge Parkway
- See for yourself why Outdoor Magazine named Boone, NC (30 min. away) in its Top Ten Places to Live in the U.S.
- Bicycle 10.8 miles on a stunningly flat (and scenic) road: Railroad Grade Road
- How about a 3 hr. family bike ride…downhill? Virginia Creeper Trail
- After you finish biking, here’s where to find HUGE donuts: Hole Lotta Doughnuts
- Float/kayak/canoe/flyfish the North Fork or the South Fork of the New River: Ashe County New River Map
- See Time transformed into Space: Museum of Ashe County History
- Unlike sausage-making, you’ll enjoy seeing cheese made: Ashe County Cheese (hint: 5 year old super sharp Cheddar)
- Hike to Canada in an afternoon: Grandfather Mountain, at 5,945′ is the highest peak on the eastern escarpment of the Blue Ridge Mountains, and as you ascend, you’ll transition from Rich Cove Forests to Northern Hardwood Forests, and finally reach a section of Canadian hemlock forest.
Ashe County Airport
You may be surprised to learn that private jets regularly land and take off only 3 miles from Jefferson, NC. Ashe County Airport (KGEV, GEV) is a county-owned public airport with a 5,002′ long runway.
Communities in Ashe County
West Jefferson is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and is the largest town in Ashe County, while Jefferson is the county seat. Lansing rounds out the list of towns (our favorite pizza comes from Pie on the Mountain in Lansing). Some of the other places you might like to explore are Todd, Fleetwood, Creston, Helton, and Glendale Springs.
Best Local Weather Forecast
Contact us to schedule a visit.
Carolina Timberworks is a timber frame company in West Jefferson, and we’re proud to call Ashe County home. If you’re building or remodeling in the area and are contemplating post and beam or timber frame construction, drop us a line and we’ll get back to you as soon as we can!